When I moved down to London over a year ago, I was dying to explore everything all this lovely, vibrant city had to offer. These are a few of the must sees and also a few of the things I still have on my ‘to do’ list.
1. The Shard – One of Europe’s tallest buildings. My boyfriend took me up there for our first date. This has to be one of the romantic things I have ever done. The views are spectacular if you get a good day (the good old English weather though can be rather unpredictable!).
2. Buckingham Palace – of course, say no more!
3. The Cabinet War Rooms and Imperial War Museum if you are interested in your history. The War Museum is free too 🙂
4. The River Boat – the commuter service is only about £3 and the views are spectacular. You can go from Canary Wharf to Waterloo and see it all 🙂
5. A stroll along the South Bank – get off at London Bridge and walk to the Houses of Parliament. You see so much life and the walk in the sun cannot be beaten. Then have a wander back over the Millennium Bridge to St Pauls Cathedral.
6. St Paul’s Cathedral – this is the most stunning building I have ever seen. Afterwards, drop off at Madison’s roof top bar, opposite the Cathedral, and look at the skyline as the sun goes down. So romantic 🙂
7. The West End for a meal and a show. I haven’t been since May when we saw Made in Dagenham, but there are so many great things to watch, no excuse not to go more often!
8. Tate Modern – it’s free and full of amazing exhibitions.
9. The Tower of London. This is quite expensive for what you see, but it is part of our wonderful heritage.
10. The good old London bus tour. My boyfriend is from London and wasn’t quite so sure of the accuracy of the tour guide’s info, but who cares on a gorgeous sunny day, when you can just sit back and take it all in 🙂
11. The Savoy. Even if it is just for afternoon tea; this is the quintessential tourist/English experience.
12. Harry Potter fans – King Cross St. Pancras is home to Platform 9 3/4
Still on my ‘to do’ list:
1. London Zoo – just because I’m a big child 🙂
2. The First Dates Restaurant. I keep watching it on TV and really want to go! Obviously, not on a first date, just for the experience! 🙂
3. The London Eye – I’m terrified of heights, but I will not be beaten…one day…one day lol!
4. The Jack the Ripper Tour/Ghost tours – perfect for this time of year!